Jim Morrison as a songwriter - lyrics only, or music also?
D***@aol.com
2008-11-27 05:10:37 UTC
Sorry if this is a stooooopid question that has already been
previously asked & answered here in the past, but I'm new to this
particular Usenet newsgroup. Anyway, did Jim Morrison write only
lyrics, or did he also write any music? If he also wrote music, then
what are the most notable Doors songs for which he wrote at least some
of the music? I realize that many of the songwriting credits list
Morrison as the only songwriter, but somehow I eventually came away
with the impression that his professional career was only as a singer,
lyricist, & poet. So any efforts to answer helpfully will be well-
appreciated - thanks.
Bruce Coryell
2008-11-27 12:55:07 UTC
Post by D***@aol.com
Sorry if this is a stooooopid question that has already been
previously asked & answered here in the past, but I'm new to this
particular Usenet newsgroup. Anyway, did Jim Morrison write only
lyrics, or did he also write any music? If he also wrote music, then
what are the most notable Doors songs for which he wrote at least some
of the music? I realize that many of the songwriting credits list
Morrison as the only songwriter, but somehow I eventually came away
with the impression that his professional career was only as a singer,
lyricist, & poet. So any efforts to answer helpfully will be well-
appreciated - thanks.
Welcome to the group - good to see a good serious question about the
Doors for a change.

The Doors member who was probably the most complete songwriter (words
and music) was Robby, who wrote many of the Doors songs, including their
most recognizable song, Light My Fire. Jim mostly wrote poems, to which
the Doors collectively put music to form songs. Many of the Doors songs
evolved over a period of time early in their career (1965 - 1966) when
they played extended gigs at places like the London Fog, Whisky A Go Go,
etc. Ray wrote songs in his solo career and late in the Doors history
(after Jim died), but he doesn't seem to have written any of the songs
that came out when Jim was around.

This used to be a pretty good group with good discussions about the
Doors, and I'd like to see it get back to that.
cruciverbalist
2008-11-28 18:09:40 UTC
On Thu, 27 Nov 2008 07:55:07 -0500, Bruce Coryell
Post by Bruce Coryell
Post by D***@aol.com
[...]
Didn't Jim and Robby each contribute a verse to LMF?

Jack
Will Dockery
2008-11-30 12:57:57 UTC
Post by Bruce Coryell
Post by D***@aol.com
Sorry if this is a stooooopid question that has already been
previously asked & answered here in the past, but I'm new to this
particular Usenet newsgroup.  Anyway, did Jim Morrison write only
lyrics, or did he also write any music?  If he also wrote music, then
what are the most notable Doors songs for which he wrote at least some
of the music?  I realize that many of the songwriting credits list
Morrison as the only songwriter, but somehow I eventually came away
with the impression that his professional career was only as a singer,
lyricist, & poet.  So any efforts to answer helpfully will be well-
appreciated - thanks.
Welcome to the group - good to see a good serious question about the
Doors for a change.
I haven't been here for a long while because of just that problem,
hope this might be the start of a trend, also.
Post by Bruce Coryell
The Doors member who was probably the most complete songwriter (words
and music) was Robby, who wrote many of the Doors songs, including their
most recognizable song, Light My Fire.  Jim mostly wrote poems, to which
the Doors collectively put music to form songs.  Many of the Doors songs
evolved over a period of time early in their career (1965 - 1966) when
they played extended gigs at places like the London Fog, Whisky A Go Go,
It would be interesting to know if any of the poems he had he came in
with a certain "melody" in mind, which was then fleshed out by the
other musicians. Has this aspect in fact ever been discussed here or
anywhere before? Since I write quite a few of my pieces in this way,
as well as the method of Morrison's spoke of above, coming in with
just some poetry and seeing what manifests with the musicians, as well
as a third way, of having a riff or song to put words to.

I have a hunch that The Doors might have used all or most of these
creative devices, but would love to see more on their working
methods... perhaps see what a Google on some of these keywords might
bring out.
Post by Bruce Coryell
etc.   Ray wrote songs in his solo career and late in the Doors history
(after Jim died), but he doesn't seem to have written any of the songs
that came out when Jim was around.
This used to be a pretty good group with good discussions about the
Doors, and I'd like to see it get back to that.
Again, yes... 2009 will clearly be a new era, and maybe it'll
revitalize Usenet, as well.

--
"Twilight Girl" and other new recordings by Will Dockery:
http://www.myspace.com/willdockery
2008-12-01 07:11:59 UTC
Post by Will Dockery
Post by Bruce Coryell
Post by D***@aol.com
Sorry if this is a stooooopid question that has already been
previously asked & answered here in the past, but I'm new to this
particular Usenet newsgroup.  Anyway, did Jim Morrison write only
lyrics, or did he also write any music?  If he also wrote music, then
what are the most notable Doors songs for which he wrote at least some
of the music?  I realize that many of the songwriting credits list
Morrison as the only songwriter, but somehow I eventually came away
with the impression that his professional career was only as a singer,
lyricist, & poet.  So any efforts to answer helpfully will be well-
appreciated - thanks.
Welcome to the group - good to see a good serious question about the
Doors for a change.
I haven't been here for a long while because of just that problem,
hope this might be the start of a trend, also.
Really, the fukken spammer pizza boi from Nowheresville is now a Usenet
Saint?

Go fukk yourself, you duplicious Loser.
http://tinyurl.com/yqm7bo
Will Dockery
2008-12-01 12:22:53 UTC
Post by Will Dockery
Post by Bruce Coryell
Post by D***@aol.com
Sorry if this is a stooooopid question that has already been
previously asked & answered here in the past, but I'm new to this
particular Usenet newsgroup.  Anyway, did Jim Morrison write only
lyrics, or did he also write any music?  If he also wrote music, then
what are the most notable Doors songs for which he wrote at least some
of the music?  I realize that many of the songwriting credits list
Morrison as the only songwriter, but somehow I eventually came away
with the impression that his professional career was only as a singer,
lyricist, & poet.  So any efforts to answer helpfully will be well-
appreciated - thanks.
Welcome to the group - good to see a good serious question about the
Doors for a change.
I haven't been here for a long while because of just that problem,
hope this might be the start of a trend, also.
<snip> now a Usenet Saint?
If so, I haven't recieved the paperwork yet.

--
"Twilight Girl", studio recording by Will Dockery:
http://www.myspace.com/willdockery
s***@gmail.com
2015-12-09 03:20:02 UTC
I read some of the posts hear about Jim not really writing many of the lyrics to their songs and did some digging , yes Robbie did write some of the lyrics but he says himself that Jim did most of the lyrics and he did the music , hear is a interview with Robbie if anyone is interested http://www.gibson.com/News-Lifestyle/Features/en-us/robby-krieger-opens-up-430.aspx
Mister Charlie
2008-12-01 07:17:19 UTC
Got pizza? I gots a $. Gimme pizza? I gotsa a $
T. "Tim" Timothy Haag aka HyoogeUmp56
2008-12-01 07:18:07 UTC
I could not agree more. Expect pizza sales to be up, I'm in town.
Dan Camper
2008-12-01 07:19:16 UTC
Post by Will Dockery
I have a hunch that The Doors might have used all or most of these
creative devices, but would love to see more on their working
methods... perhaps see what a Google on some of these keywords might
bring out.
What did you find out? I can't use Google. What did you find out? Are
you ever going to answer?
RC_Moonpie
2008-12-01 07:20:19 UTC
Post by Will Dockery
Since I write quite a few of my pieces in this way,
Dead fucking dea drunk, yeah, that and only that is your comparison to
Jimbo, you frckin' shit4drunk.
FValleyo
2008-11-30 06:45:44 UTC
Post by D***@aol.com
Anyway, did Jim Morrison write only
lyrics, or did he also write any music? If he also wrote music,
then what are the most notable Doors songs for which he wrote at
least some of the music? I
Morrison could barely carry himself out of bed in the mornings, much
less actively write words and music. Most of the songs were
Krieger's, with Morrison's "lyrics" largely coming out of studio
discussions. The other Doors were very generous with the songwriting
credits.

x.x