Post Morrison Doors LPs
sweetchild
2005-07-28 22:01:39 UTC
How many Doors releases ( LPS) came out after Jim's death with the 3
remaining group members. I know one was "Other Voices" that didn't fare too
well and "Full Circle" was another.
Has anyone listened to either one of these and if so what did you think of
them??
With the current lawsuit of the name resolved I am a little confused as to
why it was OK to release these 2 LPS in the 70's with the Doors name but
use the name for the band 20 years later was considered "unethical". I am
not siding with anyone but it seems somewhat inconsistent with John being he
was a participant with the 2 LPS some years back.
Any thoughts or comments on this topic??
Hyacinth
2005-07-28 23:15:19 UTC
Hey, Peggy: I have both albums on vinyl and can't remember what they
sounded like (and I no longer have a turntable on which to play them).

I imagine there was no lawsuit in the 1970s after JDM's death because
(1) John Densmore was playing with the group, and (2) the Estates had
not yet taken possession of Jim's one-quarter interest. Since John
brought the suit against the remaining two members in 2003 and asked
the Morrisons and Coursons to join in with him, there's the fixin's for
a contentious legal proceeding.

Too bad John didn't work things out with Ray and Robby, or vice versa,
to come to a compromise. The attorneys' fees on all sides are way into
the millions. It seems rather silly, since Ray and Robby comprise 50%
of the original group (and Robby was the #2 songwriter). It wasn't
their faults that Jim up and died of a heroin overdose in Paris with
the skanky redhead who shall remain unnamed. Had Jim lived, the 1971
contract would most likely have been "adjusted" many years ago into a
more grown-up, equitable agreement.

Another stupid reason to take drugs. You die. And leave the ones left
behind with legal messes on their hands.

Hy
Bruce Coryell
2005-07-29 01:13:54 UTC
Post by sweetchild
How many Doors releases ( LPS) came out after Jim's death with the 3
remaining group members. I know one was "Other Voices" that didn't fare too
well and "Full Circle" was another.
Has anyone listened to either one of these and if so what did you think of
them??
With the current lawsuit of the name resolved I am a little confused as to
why it was OK to release these 2 LPS in the 70's with the Doors name but
use the name for the band 20 years later was considered "unethical". I am
not siding with anyone but it seems somewhat inconsistent with John being he
was a participant with the 2 LPS some years back.
Any thoughts or comments on this topic??
I have both of those releases: Other Voices (released in November,
1971) actually sounds much like the LA Woman album, musically, just
with (mostly) Ray singing, instead of Jim. It was recorded in the same
way, in the Doors workshop with Botnick, no Rothchild. A couple of
the songs (I'm Horny, I'm Stoned, Hang On To Your Life, etc.) are a bit
lame, but there are some gems on there too: Wandering Musician, Ships
w/ Sails, In The Eye of the Sun. One song on that album, Tightrope
Ride, made the charts in late 1971 - early 1972, and is on the 1997 Box
Set.

I hate to say this, but Full Circle (released in July, 1972) is for
Doors completists only. There are really no songs on that album except
MAYBE Hardwood Floor that I can recommend.

A final album that actually did make it into CD form and can still be
found in stores here and there is Jim's poetry album, American Prayer,
released in November, 1978. That is Jim's spoken word poetry, with
music dubbed in by the Doors. PButt's Bible study buddy, Corky Courson,
was involved in this project.

An then, except for the Alive She Cried live album, that came out in
1983, silence, until the Box Set in 1997, followed a few years later by
the Bright Midnight releases, and D21C got together.
Promethean